I don’t like the word resolution for some reason. It sounds really official and I feel like if I don’t keep a resolution that I’ve failed at something major. Instead, I like to set goals for the New Year.
I have several goals that I’m going to work on throughout the year. Some of them are pretty common/normal and others are a little more selfish or personal.
So here goes, my goals for 2013:
- Personal Health & Fitness – I know this is the typical New Year resolution, but mine really isn’t about weight loss. I’m fine with the number on the scale. I lost all the baby weight from having Parker, but I know there are things I can do to be more healthy and more physically fit. I would love to be that person that spends an hour at the gym every day or is jogging through the neighborhood, but that simply doesn’t fit into my life and our schedule right now. My goal is to find a DVD workout or something similar that I can do at home, in the living room, in a realistic amount of time (ie – 30 min or less). I also want to prepare/order/eat more healthy meals. Again, time (or lack thereof) plays into this, but since my motto is “everything in moderation” I want to just make healthier choices, but still eat a few french fries or hamburgers or cookies if that’s what sounds good.
- Cooking More – This goes along with my first goal. We had a really stressful start to the school year and that seemed to lead us to bad habits when it came to evening meals. My goal for this year is to cook more often, but spend less time and money doing so. I want to try to cook just a few times each week and eat on those larger dishes throughout the week. Not only will this help save money (hopefully!), but it will also save dramatic amounts of time in both the prep and cleaning up of said meals.
- Projects around the House – We have a list of projects we would like to finish around the house this year and our goal is to do one project each month. That will help us budget for them and also not feel so overwhelmed by the list of things we want to do, but at the same time allow us to “finish” our house (if that’s even possible).
- Be Better about Church Attendance – November and December were really hard months in our house. All 3 of us were sick & exhausted for the better part of both months. Obviously being sick is an acceptable excuse for not being at church, but we get in the habit of choosing to sleep in when we’ve had a long week or a busy weekend and I want to break that habit. Having a baby makes it harder, especially when you’re up because of teeth or bad dreams in the middle of the night, but my goal is to be there more often and stop making excuses.
- Pay more attention to Fashion & Style – This is my obviously selfish goal. No, my goal is not become so concerned with what’s going on in Hollywood, but I refuse to become a frumpy mom. I tend to take whatever money I have to spend on clothes or stuff for myself and just buy something for Parker. There’s nothing wrong with that and I’m sure millions of other moms out there do the same thing, but I want to go back to keeping my hair in good shape and the gray covered up. I want to keep current, stylish clothes in my closet. I’m not a huge fan of being “trendy” because I don’t have the money to buy a whole new wardrobe every 6 months when things change, but I want to make sure I have good, high quality, basic styles in my closet. This is even more true since InStyle posted on Twitter yesterday the “10 Things Every Woman Should Have in Her Closet” and I only have like 1 of them! I like to have options and choices and even though most people don’t notice or care if I wear the same thing to church 2 weeks in a row – I don’t like to. Like I said, I know this is selfish. I know there are bigger issues going on in the world, but it is what it is. It’s not an effort to ensure that I’m “keeping up with the Jones’s”, but an effort to feel better about myself.
So there we go. My plan for 2013 – let’s see how I do :).